Chief Medical Physicist
Central Care Cancer Center has an immediate opportunity for a full-time Chief Medical Physicist. This position will provide coverage for two radiation oncology departments in Newton, KS and Salina, KS; with the primary location being Salina, KS. Central Care physicists are responsible for ensuring and overseeing the highest standards of care through physics services. Modalities include external beam, SRS/SBRT and HDR.
As the Chief Medical Physicist, this position will be expected to oversee the entire physics team as well as direct the radiation safety program for the radiation oncology department. In addition, the Chief Medical Physicist will consult with the radiation oncologists, dosimetrists, radiation therapists and support staff, as necessary, to provide radiation treatment to all Central Care patients.
- Performance of testing, calibration, and safety surveys of imaging and radiation therapy equipment in a manner suitable for accurate radiation dose delivery and functioning of equipment
- Direct the acceptance testing of new equipment and treatment devices, and development of purchasing and acceptable specifications for imaging and radiation therapy equipment.
- Direct the design and construction of patient treatment aids or special devices (blocks, compensators, molds, etc.)
- Direct the radiation safety program for the radiation oncology department
- Participate in equipment planning and evaluation, program planning, marketing, staff review and budget preparation
- Maintain proper records necessary for JCAHO, NRC, state or other regulatory agencies as required.
- Review and approve department policies and procedures and participate in department financial, facility and personnel planning
- Develop safety and quality control policies and procedures related to radiation safety and radiation oncology physics and serve as Radiation Safety Officer at all Central Care locations
- Design and implement pertinent aspects of the quality management program that involve the use for external beam radiotherapy equipment and therapeutic radioisotopes
- Manage the medical physics service in a manner to meet or exceed established standards of practice consistent with the facility size and available resources
- Serve as a member of various committees such as the Radiation Safety Committee, Cancer Committee, CQI Committee and the Safety Committee
- Establish, develop and monitor procedures for measuring the performance levels of imaging equipment used in radiation oncology
- Evaluate new technologies and implement as needed (HDR, TrueBeam, PET/CT, etc.)
- Consult with the radiation oncologists, as required, concerning patient doses and optimization of patient treatment plans and delivery
- Serve as the focal point for machine maintenance and repair
- Conduct ABR level physics peer reviews at each Central Care location per company policy to better homogenize physics and ensure recommendations are implemented accordingly
MS in Physics
- 7+ years experience working in radiation oncology
- Previous experience as Chief Medical Physicist preferred
- HDR experience
- Experience with Varian's HDR solution
- Certified in the field of Radiation Oncology Physics by the American Board of Radiology
- Willingness to travel as necessary to support all Central Care Radiation departments - Occasionally, additional travel may be required to participate in physicist peer review activities and/or coverage situations
- Weekly travel between Newton, KS and Salina, KS required to support HDR program and radiation oncologists
More about Salina, Kansas
Salina blends the convenience of city life with hometown charm and ambiance. Located in the Smoky Hills region of the Great Plains, Salina is an easy destination city at the junction of two major interstates (I-135 and I-70), offering access to all directions where they junction on the northeast part of the city.
With a population of approximately 50,000, Salina is the county seat of Saline County and is the regional trade center for north-central Kansas. Saline County has a population of approximately 56,000.
The kid-friendly community provides loads of family fun, from Kansas’ newest zoo, to more than 700 acres of parks, and an exciting water park. Visitors will discover a strong arts presence throughout the community. More large-city surprises are in store for people who come to Salina with museums, cultural events, sports facilities, restaurants, shops, and comfy accommodations. Concerts, theatre performances, festivals, and public art throughout the community speaks to the cultural visitor.
At Salina Regional Airport, United Express Airlines provides daily scheduled passenger air service to Denver International Airport and Chicago O'Hare International Airport.
Eisenhower Presidential Library & Museum (nearby in Abilene)
Kenwood Cove Aquatic Park
Rolling Hills Zoo
Salina Community Theatre
Smoky Hill Museum
Stiefel Theatre for the Performing Arts
Tony’s Pizza Events Center